Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

WRITING TO LAUGH

I think I write to entertain not only the prospective readers I hope will one day immerse themselves in my toil and task, but I write so that I myself can be immersed in joy and laughter.  Take for instance the picture to the left...it is night time in a city, perhaps your city, but I thought it was mine when I drew it.  The church to the left is one of the country's oldest churches downtown in what used to be known as New Amsterdam...from that one building, I built a city...complete with cats on one rooftop sleeping happily, to the partying mice to the right on the other rooftop. Improbable, but possible...after all, how many of us know what mice really do when we go to sleep? As I drew this I started to smile, then laugh inside myself, and when it was well underway, I thought how wonderful it was that I was able to create a place that was a stage for a happy time in life...and how wonderful it was that I created this happiness! There is no question I derive great joy from drawing and writing ridiculous stories...especially if my son, for whom this story was created and told to, finds it humorous and silly too!
Tonight I'm playing with my story...letting it take me where IT wants to go...and I'm meeting up with some interesting situations...as for the characters...some are absurd and some are outrageous...as they should be when I know that what I am writing permits, encourages, and rejoices in, the improbable, yet sends a message that defends and promotes, ethical behavior, integrity, principles of kindness, compassion, empathy, and what it means to have and respect a value most cherished; honor.  So here we are, in a city, cats, dogs, human beings all together, with lives of their own and a young boy named Walker who is on his journey...where he's going I will go too! Back to finding out where he's going!

1 comment: