Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

SWIMMING IN A SEA OF IDEAS ON A RAINY EVENING

Nothing could be more wonderous than the sound of a chorus of tap dancing droplets on a rooftop. Constant music to my soul and a contentedness as it ebbs and flows in volume as a song sung. This is when the best IDEA comes...you can hear and feel it!

It's Sunday evening, the dog, cat, and rabbit are peaceful, although Maizie Marbles our Bearded Collie "hears" sounds that cause her to sit and stare at the wall in what I can only imagine is dreaded anticipation of an impending thunderstorm, I am embarking on another writing assignment, this one for class.  Maizie is right, the first sound of a distant thunder is not far off.  Just watching her ears twitch, her eyes dart at the sound, and her rigid posture give me ideas for drawing cartoons. The rabbit's long ears by contrast, are flat to his head and over his shawl, like two oars on a boat.  The cat, Mr. Baxter, is wisely curled up on the bed and observes Mr. Milo the rabbit with little interest.  More ideas for cartoons and illustrating.  They are all creatures of instinct and move differently with unique expressions.  I love to watch them "listen" to the rain. 

Funny how you swim around in waters so large you can't see land and then suddenly, or so you think, the idea is so large it takes up your entire view and gone is the vast sea before you!  That is what I refer to as IDEA. 

The IDEA is a gift that comes to you and you have alot of unwrapping to do when you receive it.  Layers of packaging must be removed before you get to the core of the item....the beautiful IDEA gleams at you...and carefully I remove it and single it out from all other thoughts...walk around it mentally, see it's various angles, lights, colors, and imagine possibilities for it.  It's like a rock to be sculpted.  The IDEA is all at once perfect and in need of refining.  That is writing for me...and illustrating.  It is independent of me, devouring me and I relish the fervor with which I swim toward it.  Yes, it is raining tonight and I am sure this is one of the best nights for working.  My new studio space is almost ready for serious illustrating and writing and I am floating in happiness...no sharks after me! 
The IDEA is always there...you just have to listen for it...hear it and go with it...it's called INSTINCT.  When you feel it, it's yours...and that is unique.
I love a good rainy day and night. 
Thanks for being here.  

1 comment: