Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

JULES FEIFFER: AN EVENING WITH A MASTER TALENT

Rule # 1: Do not be afraid to jump.  Jump as far out from the norm as you can imagine.  Leap into your imagination.  Let go.  Don't try to control anything you are writing or drawing.  See where you go...your idea/story will take you there.  You don't control what is happening...you shouldn't try to.  Amaze yourself.  Surprise yourself.  Creativity begins when you let your imagination flow.
Words of the wonderfully talented and gifted cartoonist,illustrator, writer, children's book writer/illustrator, and film screenwriter...THE one and only; Jules Feiffer.
Last night my friend and I sat front and center row at The Society of Illustrators in New York City to hear Mr. Feiffer discuss his  extraordinary career.  He shared with his audience, his personal insights as a writer and illustrator and what he has learned over the decades about himself and his profession.  Regaling his rise to success with a modicum of humility, and self deprecation, Mr. Feiffer spoke to the problems most of us with less ability and success behind them, experience.  He articulated the fears and insecurities we all face; are we good enough, will this drawing/illustration/script/story work out? Will anyone find my work interesting enough to want to publish it?  Does it make a difference? 
What I and my friend, a life long creative art director for many magazines, heard and felt, was his energy, his complete understanding of what we all feel...as he expressed so well, as though he could read our minds.  Jules Feiffer is an American treasure.  If you don't know his work I suggest finding it...in books and archives of the Village Voice and in film and theatre.  Politically astute and sharp as a razor, he's crisp, satirical, and brilliant in his execution.  I'm eager to write, draw, and discover in my work, all that  I do not yet know is coming to my story and my illustrations...thank you Mr. Feiffer! 
The Society of Illustrators has a wonderful show of original children's book illustrations/paintings at this time...take a look...it's terrific!  Now, back to my story and drawing board!
I'm jumping!

No comments:

Post a Comment